My French Lunch Break

While studying abroad in Cannes I grew to appreciate the importance the French place on their "dejeuner" (lunch). French lunch breaks are commonly 2 hours in order to give people time to truly relax from work, cook and enjoy their most extravagant meal of the day. This blog is dedicated to the idea of taking some extra time in the middle of each day to truly appreciate the gifts of food, nature, friendship, family, art and health.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Foolish Me

It's amazing to me how dance can so perfectly convey deep and complicated emotions, sometimes through the simplest of movements. This performance from last week's episode of So You Think You Can Dance left me with tears in my eyes and a heavy heart, but also in awe of the artistic power of dance. 

In just two minutes I felt swept back to the excruciating pain I felt a few months ago when my first serious relationship ended with a complete betrayal of my trust, both by the boy I cared so deeply for and a person I had previously considered one of my closest friends. The lyrics to this song (Fool of Me by Meshell Ndegeocello) are so piercing and terribly accurate. You can feel the soul and hurt in her voice when she sings. So many of us allow ourselves to be made the fool by giving our whole hearts to someone only to be pinned up against a wall of lies and abuse in the end. I hate it. 

But I suppose it's only through suffering that we learn how to protect ourselves and break through those walls to find people who truly care. It's difficult though--so difficult when such a great majority of people have no qualms about making choices that sacrifice the well being of those around them. Relationships are such complicated, twisted journeys... I'm far from understanding them, but at least I think I know better than to let someone make a fool of me again. 

<3 Lyssa

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel, having something tragic happen makes emotions pull you in a thousand directions... Like you said,relationships are such complicated, twisted journeys... in all facets of life. Please read my blog, I feel like it relates. Have a great day.

    http://timesofregret.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-biggest-regret.html

    ReplyDelete