My French Lunch Break

While studying abroad in Cannes I grew to appreciate the importance the French place on their "dejeuner" (lunch). French lunch breaks are commonly 2 hours in order to give people time to truly relax from work, cook and enjoy their most extravagant meal of the day. This blog is dedicated to the idea of taking some extra time in the middle of each day to truly appreciate the gifts of food, nature, friendship, family, art and health.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Gnocchi Provencale for Supper

Today, one of my closest friends took off on a plane for Israel where she plans to work with an NGO and make the world a better place for Palestinians in Israel, namely women. Words cannot express how proud I am of her for making this big move to work for something she is so passionate about. She is truly an inspiration to me, and I am going to miss her like crazy.

While I know she will be amazing at her new job and will make friends instantly--the one thing I worry about is that she will eat nothing but chocolate while she is there. As her college roommate, I constantly had to remind her that one cannot live on sweets alone and make sure that she ate real meals now and then. Before leaving, she requested I keep up my blog and continue to share recipes so she has new meal ideas. So, here is my disclaimer: I don't pretend to be an accomplished chef or master cook, but I am happy to share some of my simple recipes for my friend and anyone else who's interested :)

Looks like my take on Gnocchi Provencale is the first...
Step 1: Put on the musical stylings of Michael Buble (I love his Pandora channel) to get you in the cooking mood. 
Step 2: Chop artichokes, onions, tomatoes and olives (kalamatas are the best but I was out) while heating a bit of olive oil on a large skillet.
Step 3: Cook the gnocchi in boiling, lightly salted water for about five to seven minutes. (and of course sing along to Michael with the wooden spoon as your mic while you stir) In the meantime, sautee the veggies, starting with just the onion and then adding the rest just before the gnocchi is ready.
Step 4: Strain the cooked gnocchi and add it to the skillet with the veggies. Then stir in a little bit of light marinara sauce and turn off the heat.
Step 5: Serve and enjoy!

PS-It goes great with a little white wine ;)

<3 Lyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment