My French Lunch Break

While studying abroad in Cannes I grew to appreciate the importance the French place on their "dejeuner" (lunch). French lunch breaks are commonly 2 hours in order to give people time to truly relax from work, cook and enjoy their most extravagant meal of the day. This blog is dedicated to the idea of taking some extra time in the middle of each day to truly appreciate the gifts of food, nature, friendship, family, art and health.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Orange Home Grown

Don't get me wrong, I love Trader Joes as much as the next vegetarian, but every now and then I have an urge to buy my produce from a local farmer's market where I can visit with neighborhood farmers about what's in season and ensure that my produce is fresh and organically grown. Visiting the farmer's market in Cannes and practicing my French with the bubbly, knowledgeable vendors was one of my favorite things to do. I often ponder how silly the French must think we are for boasting our giant grocery stores stocked full of produce that was probably picked weeks ago when they have the farmer's market process down to a science. 
So this Saturday I decided to visit the newly formed Orange Farmers and Artisans Market for a taste of homegrown produce and friendly neighborhood advice (not to mention some great samples!). I was intrigued by Orange Home Grown's beautifully crafted logo, website and tweets. I just couldn't pass up a visit to such a perfectly branded market. Fortunately, my experience matched and exceeded the expectations their fun designs had set. I spent my Saturday morning sipping complimentary coffee and chatting with the cookie lady about the wonder of Nutella, the hummus man about why Ohio hates LeBron and a friendly shopper about how the apple man's fuji apples changed his life. 
I returned home with a reusable bag full of apples, plums, squash, avocados, fresh mint, hummus, pita and--my favorite find: artichoke salad--for just under $20. Sorry Trader's, looks like I may be taking my produce business elsewhere ;) 

<3 Lyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment