My French Lunch Break

While studying abroad in Cannes I grew to appreciate the importance the French place on their "dejeuner" (lunch). French lunch breaks are commonly 2 hours in order to give people time to truly relax from work, cook and enjoy their most extravagant meal of the day. This blog is dedicated to the idea of taking some extra time in the middle of each day to truly appreciate the gifts of food, nature, friendship, family, art and health.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hi My Name is Alyssa and I Am a Klutz...

So let's just admit it, not ALL lunch breaks can be wonderful and inspirational and relaxing and delicous...as much as we wish they were.

Case in point: my lunch break at my internship yesterday. I brought my lunch (fantastic frozen veggie enchiladas from Trader Joes) and as the time neared noon I began to anxiously anticipate my meal. Of course, at exactly 12:00 I clocked out, brought my lunch into the kitchen and patiently waited my turn for the microwave. After cooking this heavenly mexican feast for 3 minutes, I went to take it out (bare handed) and was quite unpleasantly surprised to find that the temperature of the container had become MUCH hotter than my hands were able to handle. So in true survival mode, my hands released the container and the veggie enchiladas spilled out all over the kitchen floor and the sauce burned my hand in the process...

So I was left lunch-less, with a huge mess to clean up and a burned hand... Luckily the other people eating in the kitchen at the time were so sweet and helped me clean it up and even shared their lunches with me! Just proof of how compassionate people can be, even when they don't know you very well :)

I suppose the French would say that's my punishment for being lazy and bringing a frozen meal for lunch, and trust me French food experts if I had time I would most certainly make a fancy homemade meal. Let's just hope I can get through tomorrow's lunch break without quite so much embarrassment...

Here's to all you klutzes out there!

1 comment:

  1. when reading this comment i want you to have a mental montage of all the sounds we make when we are using the sink, and the water gets far too hott to handle. i hope it makes you laugh a little : )

    <3 your roomie

    ReplyDelete